This honeyed pear and almond cake is gluten free, refined sugar free and is the epitome of warm, sunny picnicy days. It’s not overly sweet and uses only unrefined sugar so that the pears and honey add the needed sweetness without overdoing it. I absolutely love baking with almond flour. It brings with it a beautifully subtle, nutty and toasty flavour. The cake itself is spiced with cinnamon and honey. Soft notes of almond and floral hints of pear give the cake a much needed mellowness. It’s simple, but good.
- 2 pears (grated)
- 150 g ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- 50 g honey
- 30 g olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ⅔ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of melon seeds
- Pre-heat your oven to 160°C. Line a 8″ cake tin with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs into whites and yolks.
- Beat the egg-whites with an electric mixer until you have soft peaks.
- In the bowl with the yolks, add the honey, oil and grated pears. Mix until combined.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the yolk mixture.
- Gently fond in the egg-whites.
- Transfer the batter into the cake tin and sprinkle the melon seeds on top.
- Bake for one hour.