This pie is the quintessence of summer with lots and lots of strawberries and blueberries. It’s a simple, no-fuss pie is hinted with vanilla and packed with plump, fresh berries, so each bite bursts with juicy goodness. These beautiful, soft and subtle flavours seamlessly unite to create a flavour combination that is perfect in every little way.
- 100 g flour
- 12 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups scalded milk (just below boiling point)
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- strawberries (halved) and blueberries (or any berries of your choice)
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of cold water and bring together. Do not knead.
- Cover in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 180°C in a pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Add the cornstarch and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add in the milk and whisk to combine. Pour this batter into a saucepan and cook on low heat whisking constantly until the cream thickens. Once this mixture has thickened turn the heat off and add the orange zest and butter.
- Pour the custard into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the custard and refrigerate until cold.
- Once the tart shell is cooked and cooled, fill it with the custard. Arrange the strawberries and blueberries on top.