These brownies have a thin, delicate, crackly top that gives way to a gloriously fudgy and gooey brownie centre. Flavoured with dark undertones of coffee and salt, they make for the perfect indulgent treat.
- 220 g butter
- 113 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 140 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 60 g flour
- Grease and line an 8×8-inch pan. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- In a heatproof bowl, add in the chopped chocolate, coffee, and 2 tablespoons of the cocoa powder.
- Add the butter to a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until simmering. Pour the butter over the chocolate and let it sit for 2 minutes. Whisk until completely smooth.
- In a large bowl, add the sugars, vanilla, salt and eggs. Using an electric mixer, whisk for exactly 10 minutes.
- Then, pour in the cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- Finally, sift in the flour and remaining cocoa powder and fold together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top. Bake for 20 minutes and then remove the pan from the oven and bang the pan on the counter 2-3 times (this is essential for the crackly top). Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10-11 additional minutes.
- The brownies will look under-baked in the centre, but will continue to cook as they cool. Allow brownies to cool completely in the pan, then remove from the pan and cut into squares.