With the addition of strawberries, this recipe is a spring-time twist on the classic apple pie. Fresh strawberries bring with them a lovely floral sweetness, pairing perfectly with the tart apples. The filling is spiced with cardamom, which very subtly, like a whisper almost, adds the needed depth of flavour. And of course, this pie is best served warm with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 200 g flour
- 25 g sugar
- 100 g butter
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 200 g apples (cored and diced)
- 150 g strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 40 g brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Use a 8 inch loose bottom pie tin for this recipe.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like breadcrumbs. Leave in some pea-sized bits of butter (this results in a flakier crust).
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of ice water water and bring together. Do not knead.
- Cover in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Put the diced apples and strawberries in a mixing bowl and mix in with the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla.
- Roll out the dough into two 1/8″ circles. Make one bigger than the other.
- Place the bigger one in the pie tin.
- Coat the bottom with some egg wash and add in the filling.
- Take the smaller circle and cut out strips. Use these to create a lattice pattern on top of the pie. Brush the top with some egg wash. Sprinkle some brown sugar on top.
- Bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is golden-brown.